Google

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

The Not-So-Glamorous Life

To end my visit I took a walk down the path to the farm section of the plantation. Here the story is wildly different than the mansion. The larger dwelling below is the overseer's house (though it was the original family residence as they built the mansion). The "lower house" includes displays of how the farm was run and focuses on the lives of the enslaved people who worked there. Though they were enslaved at the mansion as well, the narrative is discussed in more detail through the dwellings and workspaces that remain. And many buildings remain even hundreds of years after they were built.



This page is a wallpaper page. I decided to pull my "Farm" materials to work on this part of the story and this is a page I picked up from a scrapbook yardsale. The picket fence at the bottom of the page reminded me so much of the fence around the overseer's house that it seemed the perfect fit. I matted the photos as the blue sky was blending into the background a little more than I wanted. The paper was so decorative that I didn't need to add embellishments. And I had enough negative space left to journal directly on the page.


The farmhouse kitchen had great displays of manikins wearing the outfits enslaved people would have worn. There were also some cut-outs spread around the areas to help visualize the use of spaces. The log huts were the enslaved people's quarters and predictably, had little to no furniture. The contrast of the 2 lifestyles is striking but few people take the time to see the lower farm on their visit.



This layout is based on one of the 101 Sketches (page 102). The background papers are still from the Winter Woods collection. They had a distressed look to them that matched the severe life of the enslaved people. The corners are from a mat that I had from a different collection. The stripes reminded me of the logs in the cabin. Unfortunately, I only had one mat so I had to alternate how the stripes ran in the corners. The journal box is from a very OLD CM collection and is supposed to be a Thanksgiving or Fall accent. But I think it works with the kitchen and hearth here. Across the middle of the page are 2 laser-cut borders. By cutting each in half and stretching them across the pages, I didn't have to worry about having 2 sets (which I don't). I sometimes buy 2 sets of laser-cut borders for matching pages. But if you didn't, here is a trick to stretch your stash!

No comments:

Post a Comment