Google

Friday, July 2, 2021

Big Trees

As hinted at previously, this part of the world is responsible for most of the world records for big trees. One of the biggest is the Quinault Big Cedar. It truly is massive and I'm not sure my photos gave a grand scale of how big it is. But I could stand up inside the opening at the base if I could get into it! The path up was a bit more rigorous than I had hoped for but it was well worth the effort. Truly my fear was falling on the way back down because it is a rather steep trail.



I continued my work with the CM Virtual crop. This is my take on Sketch #2. You'll notice I don't do all the sketches in order. I don't always have time to start the crop in the workweek so by the time I get to Saturday I have a build-up of sketches to choose from. I like that as I can match the photos to the sketch without "forcing" it too often. I used paper from the S'Mores pack--a newer pack from CM but one that I loved. I had only a partial 2nd page of the boot prints, so I filled in the gap on the left with one of the tall trees from the Eastern National Scrapbook kit. While I'm fairly sure that die cut is supposed to be redwood or sequoia, it gave a little authenticity to this layout. The CM tree border maker cartridge is an old one, but the perfect addition to the layout. The green helps break up the brown tones.


Two other "Big" trees to highlight are the large Sitka Spruce and the Big Leaf Maple. If you look on the right page you'll see that I tried to give a perspective of that maple leaf by photographing it next to my foot. These trees are plentiful in the area and my rental was awash in giant leaves.



Sketch #4 was the basis for this layout. This time I got to use the brand new Hello Autumn collection. The photo of the maple leaf really set off the design. I love the paper in this pack that is a jumble of autumn leaves. It's not quite textured paper that looks like another photograph but the colors are quite vibrant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment