Google

Saturday, July 27, 2024

Bonus Post--USA in 1945

Once again this month I'm playing along with Lasting Memories. This time the "word" to use to develop a layout is Summer. You can see details of the challenge here.

This layout is the first of several pages of a December 2019 trip I made to the Gateway National Recreation Area in upper New Jersey. I have previously visited to see the lighthouse but this time I came to see the remnants of the army base. Specifically, I came to participate in a 1940s Christmas party at one of the houses. I was too early to go into the house, so I explored some of the remaining structures and that MASSIVE canon!



I will credit Lasting Memories as this page's total impetus. I sorted through my stash and found a sheet with the stars and stripes (I believe that is Scrapbook Customs paper). Since I only had one piece of that pattern, I cut it in half. I struggled with the layout before realizing I needed to turn the right page 90 degrees. Then it all fell into place! Here's how I worked SUMMER into this layout:

S-Stars and Stripes, and the "shell"

U-USA sticker on the journal box

M-Medals border

M-Memorabilia (the 2 brochures)

E-Enamel dots (again--I know! But I really tried to find something else and I couldn't)

R: Red in the medals and in the artillery shells I made for the right side


The artillery shells were cut on the Cricut. I wanted them to resemble one of the larger shells in front of the house on the bottom right page. The background is Latte' cardstock from Creative Memories. Do you like the od-time kraft photo corners I used to mount the brochures?

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous work! Great use of the word challenge! So glad that you were inspired by the Lasting Memories Layout Challenges! Thanks for playing along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Connie , Loved that it challenged you, such a great use of the Words in Summer. Your layout is wonderful so full of History love your Stars and Stripes paper. Thanks for playing along this month at Lasting Memories. D.T. Maureen

    ReplyDelete