Google

Friday, January 5, 2024

It Was Once

My next National Park Trip was part of a long vacation in September 2018. Jim's family had planned to go to Atlantic Beach as usual, but a hurricane had ripped through the town just the week before and they were still in cleanup mode. So we hastily researched alternatives and decided to head to Rehoboth. In that area, I chose to refresh my First State stamps from the Ryves Holt House in Lewes, DE. Jim and I took a tour of the building which had served as an inn. Some of the original supports and doors were still in place-something I didn't discover on my first visit 2 years prior. 

But between this trip and today, the house is no longer part of the First State National Historical Park! In March of 2021, this site was removed due to a legal problem. As part of the NPS rules, buildings must be on land owned by the same entity as the structure. Unfortunately, the building is on land owned by the church next door. So until that changes, this is no longer an NPS site! I'm glad I visited it while I could.



This layout is from a kit I purchased from the Paper Loft. I love that their papers have a muted tone to them. It works so well with a variety of historic visits. I thought the tones of this matched the house's red and the wood pieces' browns. It's a simple enough layout to recreate. Just cut 12" strips of paper or cardstock at 7" and 5". Do the same for a piece of patterned paper and mix them so that there are 12" of each per page. I've done something similar on other layouts, sometimes with 2 sheets of decorative paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment