Google

Friday, May 3, 2019

King George and Broadswords

Before we get into this week's post, I wanted to remind you that May 4th (the first Saturday in May) is National Scrapbook Day! It's always a good excuse to sit in the scraproom and create! Enjoy!

While at the beach with the inlaws, I chose a day to see Moore's Creek National Battlefield. This is a Revolutionary War battlefield (a little different from all the civil war sites I had been seeing). This battle is also a key element in a novel by Diana Gabaldon and so I was keen to see it in person. The drive from our beach house was 2 hours but for me well worth the drive!

Once again I began on the right page. The 2 historic canon from the battle were one of the highlights of my visit and though the wall paper I used was really for civil war, the short barrel made it ideal to highlight this time period. I probably should have matted the photos as they seem to be getting lost on the page though. On the left is an old piece of CM paper from the "Discover and Delight" line. I liked the grittiness of the background and sort of thought the dots along the top could be cannonballs :)

Another key feature of the park is the bridge on the left page below. The Americans removed many of the timbers and greased those that were left to prevent the British from crossing the creek.

This layout is from a class I am taking with Noreen Smith (Organized and Creative Mom). I cannot post the sketch, because of the rules of the class but it is one of her classic 1-2-3 layouts. The class theme is Scrap Your Stash, and for January we were encouraged to use up journal cards and decorative mats. The background paper is from Paper Loft. The top left mat card is from the CM Archivers line. The rest of the cards are so old it's a mystery where they are from! (I do know that the History title is from the EN scrapbook kit. I thought layering it on the circle a nice touch). I like that on the right page I used the postcard to stand in for 2 photo elements of the sketch. What will be interesting is that I used this same sketch 3 or 4 times on different park pages and you'll see it again and get a chance to compare them next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment