Google

Friday, July 6, 2018

At the Convention

Saturday morning I drove to the visitor center in Ashland to look around before our meeting. It's a rather new building but already has nice displays. You can take an elevator to the top floor to look out on the surrounding area. That's what you see in the 2 photos on the right.

This layout is one of the 1-2-3 sketches by Noreen Smith. She has a lot of ways to take 1 piece of double sided paper, 2 scrapbook pages (or cardstock backs) and with just 3 cuts of the trimmer, you have everything you need to decorate the page. If you look at her sketch, you'll see I didn't use the banner cuts on the right page. But I was able to use the unigrid and the park entrance sign to completely fill the space between the coral papers. It really helps you stretch your supplies! Likewise, on the right I used the center brochure and a journaling square to fill in the left side of the page. I added a couple of stickers to the top left and the page was done in a flash!

We had lunch in the center and then started the meeting. On the left page is the registration area and on the right are a couple of photos of our speakers.

This layout is part of the 2017 Creative Memories National Scrapbook Day pack. Each year NSD is celebrated on the first Saturday of May and around that time, Creative Memories offers special themed papers and project recipes. I don't have a copy of the recipe used for this page, but check with me about a current offering! I know one complaint people have about pre-designed layouts is that their photos don't "fit" the design. But you can see here that I simply use the photo mats as part of the background. Although some do fit as indicated (like the 4x4 photo in the bottom right) others extend off the mat or I use them for journal squares. You should always make a layout work for you, don't feel you have to adjust your photos to the page.

This year our break during the meeting turned into a party! I was thrilled to see Smokey the Bear usher in the cake!

I went pretty simple for this page. I thought the brown background fit the bear theme. The bear in the corner is an old Mrs. Grossman sticker that I still had and I topped him with a Mrs. Grossman party hat (which is probably just as old). A mat and a journal box are the only other embellishments for the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment