Google

Friday, July 13, 2018

Something's fishy

Sunday morning I drove out to the Little Sand Bay visitor center in Apostle Islands for a group tour of the Hokenson Brothers Fishery. This site keeps alive the hardships endured trying to make a living fishing in Lake Superior. The tour covered multiple buildings and sites.

The left side of the layout is a remnant of a piece of Club Scrap paper with a border below made of cardstock and a shiny/iridescent marine themed paper.  The right page starts with wallpaper, but the sheet is an old version of Creative Memories and their pages used to be a little less than true 12x12, so their "perfect fit" pages run a little short on the newer, true 12x12. To fill in the gap, I used a rope sticker since the theme was "Twine Shed". I thought it quite clever!

The real highlight of the left page though, is the use of the peekaboo pockets again. This time I secured them to the page and then brought them outside the edges of the page protector so no cutting was involved. This allowed me to include the large paper brochure and still have room for photos and journaling. You can see above that I have 2 photos covering the bottom of the paper. Below, if you turn them over you can see the whole brochure, read the journaling, and see 2 more photos! I wish I had added a little something else on the left and right of the journaling box, but other than that I am very happy with this page!

Another stop on the tour was the Ice House. The tools reflect the growing technology as it moved from hand saws to power saws to cut through the ice. It wasn't for ice fishing, but to keep the ice so they could use it to pack the fish through the spring and summer months.

Both of these are wall paper pages. On the left is an older piece of Creative Memories from their Earthy paper line. I chose a wintery theme and then added a variety of snowflake stickers to make the print stand out. I find the Earthy line to have a bit of a rustic or heritage feel and it worked perfectly here. The right page is paper from Club Scrap. Since we were in the fish processing area, I thought the print of fish along the right side appropriate. The stickers are from the Creative Memories NSD kit from several years ago (actually the same kit I used for the rope sticker above). I didn't realize that I had so few photos including the club members on this tour.

The last photos from Little Sand Bay are of the larger pieces in the yard. The rigs were used for hauling boats and nets or for driving posts into the area for a dock. After Little Sand Bay I had time before my next excursion so I stopped at the Visitor Center in Bayfield. I was impressed with the Fresnel lens which could generate a wide and bright beam for nautical safety.

The left page again has a remnant of paper with a nautical theme. The top border is the same border I made for the opening page but this time I added some fish stickers. Those stickers as well as the bottom shoreline border are from an older CM sticker pack. The right page is wallpaper. Since the focus of the photos was the lighthouse lens, I chose a lighthouse themed paper to highlight the photos. More lighthouses to come next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment