Google

Friday, May 5, 2023

The Flat Hat Award

In October 2017, I traveled to Dayton Ohio to present the NPTC Flat Hat Award to Joe Raterman. We had a small group of club members attend plus some co-workers and friends of the recipient. We were able to use the upstairs lounge of the visitor center but the ceremony was also live-streamed on the club's Facebook page. 

This layout is based on one of Noreen Smith's 1-2-3 layouts. I made the layout BEFORE I realized that I would need to add an 8 1/2 x 11 pocket page in between. It ended up working out but I wish the 2 pages could be seen side-by-side. The paper is from the Gemtones collection that was part of a secret box. That kit worked very well for the heritage-type layouts on this trip.

After the ceremony, Joe took us on a tour including the bike shop and the area where the Wright Birthplace was. Yes, it's gone. Not destroyed or anything--Henry Ford took it and the top layer of soil for his own museum in Michigan. Somehow I find that rude but at least it is still preserved. The house where the Wright brothers lived as adults is still in Dayton though I didn't get there on this trip.



If you compare the top and bottom photos you will see a large white square on each page. The idea behind the layout is to align photos with that paper so that it looks like all one sheet of paper. This is why I do not trim my photos until I decide on the sketch I'm working with. I don't want to have to mat things to get back to 4x6 sizes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment