Google

Friday, April 28, 2023

Pronounce it as you like

 I stayed outside of Richmond Saturday night and Sunday I drove out to a part of the battlefield I'd not seen previously--the Rural Plains area. There was a Harvest Days event, and I love visiting during those events as it's more than just the house tour. I did tour the house but it requires some repair work and all the furnishings are missing. Like the Thomas Stone home, there is graffiti carved into the bricks.



I used a pin I had saved which you can see here. I used papers from Paper Loft as the kit I had on hand had extra banners. I interspersed those with a couple of the phrases from their cut-apart sheet and that filled the space. Granted the left side is a little wonky but it sort of works. The bottom borders are VERY old rick rack shortcuts from Old CM. I have a TON of those to use up and periodically I pull them out and throw them on a bunch of pages. I like that the Paper Loft pages have an antique feel to them but can also be used for a jazzier page due to the designs. It's multi-purpose!

The living encampment was a Confederate Group. It took a while for me to realize this as I'm so used to seeing Union forces on display. Additionally, they had soldiers from the Revolutionary period. Virginia has been bloodied a lot I suppose.



This layout is separated by the pocket page which holds the memorabilia. It's based on a VERY old CM virtual crop challenge (March 2017) (flipped upside-down). While the left and right backgrounds are the same (though I can't remember what pack they are from), since the soldiers were from different periods, the bottom borders are different. And since the pocket page is in the middle it isn't a noticeable change. The left page is a sticker from an old Reminisce Sticker sheet for the Civil War. The right side is a laser-cut border from the Welcome Home pack. On each side, I substituted an item for the other upright photo. On the left, it was the journal card. On the right, I took a few embellishments and filled the area. Those were left from the Gemtones pack.

Some of the other living history displays included a still--not for alcohol, but for making rose water! It was not only a scent to wear but would be used in medicines as well. Part of the Union's strategy was cutting off supply lines to the South.  The shortage of supplies forced people to substitute. One table displayed a variety of common substitutions. It was a particularly interesting point of view for my visit. This page ended the album.



This layout is based on another pin I had saved which you can see here. I did not round the highlight section (the grid pattern paper), but the rest of the items are pretty close. I used a cluster of photos and journaling for the larger photo on the sketch. For the title bar, I clustered some embellishments from the Welcome Home collection and then used a couple of the title stickers--I love how the scroll stickers make a frame for the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment