Google

Friday, May 12, 2023

Printers, Grocers, Cycle repair---Oh yes, and they flew too.

 After our formal tour was over, I had a chance to walk through the rest of the spaces in downtown Dayton. Before they flew, the brothers had many careers including owning a grocery store, a print shop, and a cycle shop (creation and repair). All of these premises are recreated. I think the grocery store was my favorite. 



This layout was made as part of a class I took so I cannot show the sketch. I'm using up some Vintage Chic paper from old CM here. I typically would use these colors for mid-century modern but it spoke to me and I think it turned out quite nicely. Blue and orange are complementary colors but purple also works with those tones though not a "triadic" team if you look at the color wheel. Not a lot of embellishments here--just a few tags and titles. But the print on the background is a bit bold so it doesn't need much embellishing.

Next stop--print shop. You know that it's second only to medical history as a place where I'll spend some time in a museum. I think it's because my father had a print shop when I was growing up and so it's very nostalgic for me. 



This layout was a 1-2-3 class that I taught for my scrapbook customers. We can get 8 pages done in less than 2 hours (not including the time it takes to pick the right paper). These papers came from, oddly enough, the Keep the Faith tonal papers. I was looking for something with a brown base but also wanted a contrast on the reverse side. Tonal packs can be used for anything so don't let the "faith" stop you from putting the paper to good use!

The last focus for the brothers is their cycle shop. The original shop is with their home at Henry Ford's museum so this is another recreation. Because it was rebuilt they could move it closer to the original home site so the distance between the 2 is much shorter. 



This layout is also from a class (same as the first layout). I chose an old Croptoberfest pack from 2017 (ironically--the same year I took these photos! How appropriate!) I was short a few photos so on the right page I substituted a large square mat and a journal box. I've had that journal box for a while now--it is from the Archivers line from many years ago. I do love that line but I have just a few pieces left. I augmented the stickers from the Croptoberfest pack with things that looked like gears and a small ephemera piece of a historic bicycle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment