Google

Friday, December 23, 2022

Great Western Journey Part 1--Fort Laramie

Our first park stop on the trip was Fort Laramie. We had quite an adventure GETTING there (just remember to follow the directions on the park website and NOT the GPS or you too will enjoy the rutted dirt road path to the park. And possibly get stopped by cattle moving across the road.) Fort Laramie is an important historic site as it was both a trading post and a military installation. 



This layout is based on this sketch from Creative Memories October 2022 Virtual Crop. I organize my papers by theme so I pulled my "Western" folder out and found the Wide Open Places from Creative Memories this summer. The wood-grained background sets off the myriad of entry plaques and signs. The middle is the Field Fence border punch that coordinates so well. All of those items are currently available on my CM store site (see right column). The sketch calls for a halved circle to augment the photos. I chose instead to cut a journal box in half that had a diamond-shaped opening. That left some space to mount my very old CM stickers.

Fort Laramie was also one of the stops on the Pony express. Those signs matched the beginning photos of our first building (even before we got to the visitor center) which was a calvary barracks. We could see through the windows for some of the rooms and could stop at the doorways for the larger barracks rooms.



This is another Virtual Crop sketch from October. I continued using the Wide Open Places papers. I "gutted" the 2 background papers and just turned the inside square over to provide 2 contrasting colors. I love the horse paper as the accent strips! The kit contained the western themed journal box and stickers to finish off the layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment