Google

Friday, December 2, 2022

Above Ground on the UGRR

Our tour group assembled and we started walking down the hill away from the square. Our first stop is the Thaddeus Stevens house (he helped ensure the passage of the Emancipation Proclamation). This is preserved in the middle of the Lancaster Convention center. The original door and markers are on the outside. We didn't get to go in. Around the corner, you can see the excavated cisterns. They believe they were used not for water, but to hide enslaved people on the UGRR.



This layout is based on a layout that CM posted using Countryside Comfort (the first layout on the page). I did not have the exact paper pack but found that the Croptoberfest papers from that year worked just as well. I did not originally save this design to my Pinterest board though. I saved the borders on the layout below. But as that didn't work with this configuration of photos, I scrolled up the page and realized that the fence would be a perfect addition to this home story. 

Another stop on our tour was a church that I had passed every day going from work to home. This church allowed enslaved people to worship with the rest of the congregation and for the times, that was quite progressive. Numerous historical markers adorn the church walls.



This page lent itself to the original borders that I saved (second on the page from the link above). The tones of the Croptoberfest paper match the brick quite well and the rest of the colors accent the deep red tones. While there is a third layout on the CM site, I'm not sure I have enough materials left to complete it. However, it's saved on Pinterest so there's always a possibility!

No comments:

Post a Comment