Google

Friday, May 27, 2022

Summer Road Trip Part 5--More of Moore's Creek

The rest of my day at Moore's Creek included more "manly" pursuits. First I got to watch the blacksmith and his apprentice working at a forge. Everything had a Scottish flair to it from their kilts to the sgian dubh (pronounced Skee-n, Doo). The latter is a small knife tucked into the sock. You can see it below with the red fringe hanging over the sock.



I made this layout as part of the Creative Life Scrapbooking July 21 pajama party. I was using plaid paper from a Christmas stash but it certainly worked with the tartan theme of the reenactors well. I don't know why my borders are facing different directions on the 2 pages. I think that might have been a late-night gaff. The purple flowers are from a VERY old CM border kit. I think it was a gift for National Scrapbook Day in the early 2000s. I thought that they resembled the thistle (Scotland's national flower") and I liked the accent they gave to the page.

There were plenty of explosions as they did musket firing and cannon firing demonstrations. They take quite a while to describe the steps and perform them for us. I'm sure in a real fight the process goes MUCH faster. But I like the pageantry of the demonstrations. The reenactors love their roles and it shows.



I made the right-hand page during my July MotherLOAD class. We were given the word "Freedom" as inspiration for our page. I thought about it a while and decided that "Sounds of Freedom" (which I hear more frequently as it relates to modern warfare) was an apt title for the page. I cut the title on the Cricut and decorated the page simply with white stars. The punch creates 2 at a time--the frame and the smaller inside stars. To counteract the red background I used some older CM designer stickers. The sheets come in sets of blue (strips, squares, etc.). As I completed the album I realized that there were additional gun photos to include so I created the left side as a companion piece. I thought the blue background with fireworks was appropriate to the topic. I had red stickers similar to the blue ones and that balanced the 2 pages. I used the same punch to position the stars similar to the red page. I even had room for journaling!

One of the last events of my day was to listen to the piper play. He gave us some traditional songs as well as music from Outlander (based on one of my favorite novels). I'm glad I got to go to the living history. It's a great way to expand your ideas of the park as well as life in the 18th century. This was the last page of my album for the first half of the trip. Next stop--Guilford Courthouse!



This page is from the CM Virtual crop in July 2021. You can see the sketch here. I continued to use up the plaid paper from the Christmas pack. I incorporated more red here since there was a bit of red in the photos. I didn't want it to look Christmas-y so I added the black and white and not much green. I thought that the flower with musical notes on it worked well. It's a little more pink than red, but I kept it. 

2 comments:

  1. Great job using your Christmas stash for another theme! Thanks so much for joining us at Lasting Memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Christmas plaid papers are just perfect for your tartan themed layouts! Well done with the challenge. Thanks for playing along with us at Lasting Memories Layout Challenges!

    ReplyDelete