Google

Friday, May 6, 2022

Summer Road Trip part 2--Petersburg

After Tredegar, I did make an additional stop for a stamp and toured the Henricus Historical Park. The stamp was for the John Smith Chesapeake Trail and it's a tangential connection at best. There are MANY pages of that visit and I didn't want to overload the blog. Similarly, the evening before Petersburg included a stop at the Blandsburg cemetery next to the park where I learned about Victorian Era grave decorations. It was a fascinating talk and if you see it offered, take the tour. But there are tons of photos of gravestones too and I thought the blog would be better without them. If I ever run out of ideas to post (HA!) maybe I'll return to those pages.  Let's turn instead to the next stop on my trip--a return to Petersburg.

I started my Petersburg visit with a return to the visitor center and then walked the Mortar Loop trail. This was the Confederate line with a variety of cannons.




For this layout, I wanted to use the canon/field paper on the left because it matched my visit. the secret is that this is really a page meant for Gettysburg. I taped the Petersburg sign over the label though because that is the only thing that really makes it a Gettysburg page. The journal box is a card from the Eastern National scrapbook pack. The right page has 2 more stickers from that pack on the small journal box. Nothing fancy on the right--just wallpaper with an old CM brown page. I was hoping the compass watermark looked a bit like canon wheels.

Along the trail, I got to see the "Dictator" (well, not the one actually used in the siege, but a similar one from that era). I was impressed with the size of the mortar! My next stop was out at City Point to see Grant's Headquarters. I toured the home and then went to see a ranger talk on the use of the telegraph. There are 2 rivers nearby and the views were lovely. But I had to head down to the beach so I didn't stay too long.



I'm not completely sure where the idea for this layout came from. It isn't a 1-2-3 based on the amount of paper used, and it's not a familiar sketch. So perhaps I had my own idea! It happens sometimes. What I can tell you is that the base is a 12x12 sheet of brown cut in half and used to anchor the bottom of both pages. I used a rather old piece of CM paper that had a printed border on one side. however, it wasn't 12" in both directions (this was the "perfect fit" paper for the CM pages that were not QUITE 12x12). I cut it "across the grain" and created the 2 border strips. The blue tones were a nice contrast to the browns. I punched 2 borders with the grass punch to fill in the bottom. Very little embellishment on these pages--just 2 stickers that came from a Scrapbook Customs sticker pack. I have lots of these as they are the same for every park and I bought at least 2 dozen packs!

No comments:

Post a Comment