Google

Friday, June 3, 2022

Summer Road Trip Part 6--We Lost?!?

 The break between the 2 albums for this trip was sort of the dividing line between the 2 halves of my trip. The first album would have been the same no matter the year--a trip through Richmond, the beach, etc. But the second half was additional traveling so I could get to a work conference in Louisville and then home. That took another week and a half and added some new parks to my checklist.



I wanted to make another kick-off page similar to the first album. I used another Fast-to-Fabulous page from the same line (Adventure, I think), and then made a signpost along the left side. A few luggage pieces and a luggage tag for part of the title, and it was done!

After leaving the beach, I drove west and headed for Guilford Courthouse--a new park for me. When I arrived I had a chance to stop at the visitor center and watch the movie. I had not done any homework on this park so I was awfully confused because it looked to me like we were commemorating a battle that we lost. And we did, but the implications were that we were dragging out the conflict with Britain and this and other skirmishes helped weaken the British as we manipulated them toward the ultimate surrender at Yorktown.



I worked on this layout at my yearly scrapbook weekend retreat. I always provide ideas for the participants in case they get stuck looking for inspiration. I had provided instructions for the border at the right. To make it, you lay out the 4 components and then chop them into 1" strips. Then you arrange them diagonally on another strip to get the woven look. I simply layered that on some green and black star paper. Matting most of the photos allowed them to stand out a bit on the printed background.

After watching the movie, I followed the loop around the park to see the battlefield and the monuments. There are a few silhouettes of soldiers near the visitor center (above right page). I liked the monument below as it was dedicated to a woman (a mother). The white statue reminds me of one of the tents soldiers would use.



This sketch was from my November class bundle from Noreen Smith. I used some fall-themed papers including a very old border strip along the right-hand side. I think that strip was a Croptoberfest pack from around 2010. I love how simple her directions are but it creates pages with lots of interest! You can explore her products at Organizedandcreativemom.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment