Google

Friday, January 15, 2021

Happy Trails part 19--We finally come to Chamizal

 It's been a while since I started the album, but we are FINALLY getting to the actual convention! After my visit to San Elizario, I drove back to El Paso and the Chamizal visitor center. The mural has been recently updated and I took some time getting photos outside.



This layout is one of the 1-2-3 sketches I love. You can see the directions here. It's not as complicated as it looks. There are circular cuts made on one sheet of 12x12 paper, and you use the curved parts for one page and the remaining paper on the other so you have sort of a negative image of the other side. The plain cardstock behind helps to prevent the layout from becoming too busy. I didn't add any embellishments to the page in another attempt to keep it balanced.

Inside the building, I looked through the museum (which is slated for renovation soon so I'll have to go back) and got situated in their spacious auditorium.




This is another 1-2-3 sketch, one that I saved from a summer class in 2018. It's available here. I had, of course, pulled all of my yellow, red, and orange papers for my southwest trip so this was in the pile. I'm sure it is Creative Memories, I just don't recall which paper pack it is. Still, the point is to have a contrast in the middle to use as accent squares and then arrange photos and journaling around the edges. I used a handful of orange mats from my stash as well to fill in the blocks around the photos and the "Find Your Park" sticker. 

The rest of the embellishments are a bit of a jumble but I think they pull together nicely. On the left page are a compass rose (provenance unknown) and a vellum title strip. (Vellum is tricky because adhesive typically shows through. Try the CM vellum adhesive and when you burnish the top of the vellum, the adhesive disappears.) The postcard is an old sticker from CM's travel pack. The buffalo (mirroring the statue) is from a junior ranger pack I received as a gift. On the right are fewer embellishments. I wanted to use the 2 old CM stickers but because the mat was so busy, I mounted them on a piece of yellow cardstock so they didn't get lost on the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment