Google

Friday, December 28, 2018

Centennial Part 14--Hot as an oven

Tuesday morning the club met a little west of Philadelphia at Hopewell Furnace. This park commemorates the era of plantation houses and iron manufacturing prevalent in the area. The park staff are very nice and help our club quite a bit. They even had some special stampers out for us! We watched the movie as a group and then took a ranger walk through the park.

This is a single page following the end of the Maurice River cruise. It turned into a mini kick-off page for this part of the trip and I decided to do an introduction with a "then and now" theme. The top photo is a postcard of the original site from the early days (late 19th century) and the bottom photo is present day. That left little room for the unigrid, so I decided to go ahead and mount it sideways. I've done that before when the image is viewed better in that direction, but this time it was a matter of convenience. Still, its purpose is mostly to be able to take it out and review the maps and information at a later date, and it certainly will serve that purpose.

We started out with quite a few people on the tour, but many drifted away as the ranger moved us from building to building. By the time we reached the foundry, there were just a handful left.

This paper reverts to wallpaper technique. I used a plaid pattern as I was trying to evoke a "homestead" sort of feel. Impressively the title "Ranger Walk" made of letter stickers did not require modification of the letters! The corner designs were something new I was trying with a Cricut machine. I had not gotten the hang of sizing them appropriately for the page so they are a little small, but nice page fillers. I'm most proud of my journal box that incorporates a cast iron stove along the edge of the sticker. Hopewell Furnace is famous for producing early stoves in that design.

I wanted to finish the entry with some photos of the buildings. My favorite is the water wheel that drives the bellows.

This layout is scraplifted from Club Scrap's Homestead collection (see layouts 1 and 2). Now I don't own ALL of the parts of this collection, but I could use the background pages and the orange stripes. The most important part for me was the wheel image on the paper and the "then and now" theme from the left orange bar "Yesterday Today Tomorrow". I had a different journal box that matched the style of the kit and also found the banner segment on the right hand page from a different collection, but I think the colors matched up fine.

I also had photos of club members throughout the site and I chose to highlight them on the last layout pages. After touring we all went to lunch at a restaurant near Valley Forge (which is not far away) and the right page features that. It's a preview to next week's pages!

This is a true SCRAP page. The light brown NPS logo paper was originally 8 1/2 x 11, and I had used it on another layout. I cut the remainder into 2 blocks and used them to back some photos and bring the 2 pages together. I took another 8 1/2 x 11 page that featured the stamps and passport and cut the page to make a right sided border. The part I cut out (the passport book) decorates the left page nicely. A couple of stickers and a camera journal box pulled the page together. As eclectic as the components are, it really works as a layout for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment