Google

Friday, November 17, 2023

2018 Convention Part 8--Arty Facts

Before we get to tonight's layout, I wanted to let you know that soon there will be MORE of my blog to enjoy. I have so many layouts made and waiting to be shared that I'm going to add a Tuesday drop each week. And you never know when I'll be participating in a challenge that will give even more bonus posts! Hope you are enjoying this! Feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts about the blog.

And now back to our convention trip!

The museum has the most impressive display of scrimshaw. There are cases and cases of everything from decorated busks (used to go inside corsets) to cane toppers and even the musical instrument fret! Amazing what you can do with bones and teeth. I think I could have stood in there for hours just looking at all the items but we had to keep moving to get to the convention setup.









This layout is based on one of the Virtual Crop challenges from September 2023. Scroll to Sketch #5 to see the design. I used some texture pages for the 11" square. Although it's oyster shells, I thought the pattern resembled the scrimshaw. Using a dark background and another lighter tonal paper to sandwich the shells helped to keep the paper from overwhelming the layout. I used a light gray to punch the rope borders and added just 2 clusters of stickers and word art. The tonal paper was light enough that I could journal right on the page.


The last stops on the tour included some period clothing. I love this dress! The museum details who wore it and how the dress changed as it moved through the hands of several family members. We also had a chance to step onto the balcony to see the harbor. Imagine that it was filled with whaling ships as it would have been in the 1800s!



This layout used the same virtual crop, but this time was Sketch #10. While the sketch calls for banners of 9 and 3 inches, you won't get any space between the 2 parts. That's why I trimmed them to 11". To ensure that all of your banners match, stack the papers and cut them all at once. I flipped the pages so that my vertical photos were on the left. This is a very versatile sketch. You could use all vertical or all horizontal--just duplicate the layout suggestion for that side.

No comments:

Post a Comment