Google

Friday, November 10, 2023

2018 Convention Part 7--A Whale of a Tale

 As part of the board, and this year as president, I've found that during conventions there is so much to be done for the meeting that I don't always get a chance to explore and visit as much as I'd like. This year we made a special tour time of the Whaling Museum just for the board and the volunteers. This was early enough that we had time to set up after the tour and still look at all the amazing displays. Entering the museum, you immediately get a sense of size as you look up and see the large Right Whale skeleton hanging from the ceiling. The photos on the left page show you this from 2 angles. The inner skeleton is a baby whale. And look closely at the left photo--that's an accurately sized heart model on the floor!



I made this layout to complete one of the CM Sizzlin Summer Challenges. You can catch the replay on this YouTube video. I created this page while I was on the 2023 Convention trip! Have any of you scrapbooked while traveling? I've learned a few tricks for packing and selecting items that will allow me to take a bag of supplies to just about anywhere! But I didn't have a tag punch with me. No problem, I cut the decorative pieces along the bottom row with a trimmer and then notched the top 2 corners with the 2-way corner rounder. Now they looked like a tag! It was one of the tips I got from Noreen's video.  You'll see the sketch that I followed for the right-hand page in the video. By adding a mat to the middle photo spot I had plenty of journaling space. Doubling the sketch allowed me to add the brochure on the left.

We had a tour guide, which was great as that kept us on pace to see the museum and still finish in time to set up the convention. She took us to a room where there was a full-sized whaling ship! Yes, it was a huge room but at the same time, I kept thinking that the ship was too small to catch a whale!



This layout was based on a sketch from the September Worldwide Virtual Crop by CM. Scroll to sketch #6 to see the design. I also completed this layout while traveling, but this time to the Corrigan family beach house in September. In fact, I was able to complete a dozen more pages that week. I would secure a space for myself at the dining table after dinner and complete a few pages when we had a quiet evening at home. You'll see here that I also doubled the sketch to create a symmetrical 2-page layout. I again used a mat card to fill in for one of the photos (once on each side). The papers came from several nautical-themed packs I had but still coordinated nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment