Google

Friday, June 9, 2023

Farewell to Dayton

 I made 2 more stops in Dayton--the Carillon Historical Park and Huffman Prairie Flying Field. At Carillon is another bicycle shop owned by the Wright Brothers but it shows the transformation they made to use it to create airplanes. The park is quite large and includes many different displays of Dayton's history. I made more pages that didn't involve the Wright Brothers as I found some of the other items interesting as well.



This layout was created for the CM Virtual Crop in February 2023. Scroll down to challenge #4 for the sketch. The paper is from the Mystery Box that was revealed that weekend. The collection is called Burlap and Lace and it has some great papers and embellishments for working on heritage-type photos. I substituted the brochure for the 4x6 photo on the left page and a 6x4 photo for 2 4x4 photos as well. Remember that you should make the layouts work for you. Don't feel compelled to shoehorn your photos into a layout that will be unflattering.

In addition to the displays of how they created airplanes (including their own wind tunnel), there is one of the original Wright Flyers in a special environmentally controlled room. The brothers might have learned that flight was possible down in North Carolina, but here in Ohio is where they learned how to control the aircraft-even arranging one of the first pilot training programs. 



This is a Club Scrap kit called Industrial Evolution. If you scroll down to layouts 5 and 6 you will see the pages without photos. Because I had more horizontal photos, I carefully peeled off the left page photo mats (I made the pages and stored them as shown) and turned them. I placed them in a way to hide any rips in the paper and I think they look fine in that configuration. I used one of the photo spots as a journaling box on the right. Pre-made pages do help me complete albums quickly!

My final visit was to Huffman Prairie Field. There is a visitor center with more exhibits (more of a future vision of flying than historical) and there is a monument to the Wright Brothers out front. As I completed my visit, my husband called and indicated he was done with his visit to the Air Force Museum so I picked him up and had dinner. I have a few pages of the planes he saw. You can stop by to see those if you like.



I made this layout for a Sketches In Thyme monthly challenge (March 2023). They are now based on Facebook and it's a private group, but if you join you'll be able to see the sketches. They post 4 new sketches each month and between that and another group I joined, I'm kept busy! I only had 2 photos of the statue (because everything else was pretty much a bare field) and I thought this layout brought out the solemnity of the moment. The paper is Starlight which was the first mystery box that CM sold. I fussy-cut the stars from one of the cut-apart boxes and then used the original CM tag punch for the 2 tags. I mounted the quote on a piece of white cardstock so that it was visible on the darker strip of blue. I'm pretty proud of this layout.


No comments:

Post a Comment