Google

Friday, April 1, 2022

No Foolin! It's back to FDR!

Happy April Fool's Day! I guess no need for an extra post since it's a Friday. Today we'll cover a bit more of my ranger talk along the Tidal Basin. Our next stop was the FDR memorial. The ranger is quite a character and continually mugged with the various statues. But he was quite knowledgeable and I enjoyed hearing his perspective on FDR's 4 terms. 



Although I completed this in May, I used a sketch from my January class. I wanted to pull out the oxidized look of the statues and plaques so I chose a piece of paper from "Painted Harvest" (which I think was a bonus pack of paper--it only had one of each design included). The green is probably supposed to be a leaf, but it gives a nice base for the antique look. The other thing to highlight was the stone so I chose another piece of the Stone paper pack. Black borders define the edges of the page. The sketch was set to have all the photos on the decorative pages. This is another instance of using that as a background and adding my photos regardless of shape. The 2 vertical photos do not detract from the layout even though they cross the black borders. However, if you would like everything to be "between the lines" you can cut the strips in the middle wider so that everything is tucked away.


FDR's second term is marked by the great tragedies of the depression and dustbowl. The wall behind the ranger highlights all of the programs he created in his "New Deal". They include faces and hands of those helped by the programs. It's the first time a ranger explained this mural to me and it really highlighted the chamber. Before that, I thought it was a random decoration. Though I should know that the NPS doesn't do "random" too often.



This layout  is based on a May class sketch. It called for 2 decorative circles and a wide strip through the middle. I chose the same paper pack as the first 2 pages--Painted Harvest and Stone. I took one 12" laser-cut border strip and cut it into 3 sections to use as embellishments around the page. The title comes from the Memoirs and Memories sticker pack. Though it has gears on it, I think the sentiment fits perfectly.

The 3rd term focuses on WWII of course. The second statue of Roosevelt, though much larger, shows how much he's aged. His knee and Fala get a lot of touches so they don't have the oxidation that the rest of the statues do.



This layout is based on a PJ party that I attended. I cannot show you the sketch, but it focused on building the border on the left. Cutting the triangles and diamonds was a little tricky but using some scraps from the Memoirs and Memories pack as well as the Archiver pack, I was able to get a nice "army" feel to the page. I added the stickers of the WWII hats and helmets to provide context. Not a lot of embellishment but it sets the tone nicely.

2 comments:

  1. Great travel layouts! Love how you used the circle challenge! Thanks for playing along with us at Lasting Memories Layout Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful layout Connie love the history of your story. Great take on the circular challenge. Thanks for joining in this week at Lasting Memories DT Maureen

    ReplyDelete