Google

Friday, March 12, 2021

Casting begins

During our time at Hopewell Furnace, we got to walk through several areas demonstrating the production of iron pieces. The left page focuses on the creation of heat. Water runs over a wheel which pumps a bellows. That pushes air into the furnace to increase the heat. In the photo below, I'm listening to the rush of air through the pipe as it heads to the furnace. On the right we watched re-enactors preparing a mold to be cast. It was just like when I was in metal shop in high school!



I made this page as I took a "Summer Camp" class for scrapbooking. The week's challenge was to take one of our punches and turn it into a stamp. I used the Medallion punch on a styrofoam plate and then secured that to a wooden block leftover from our stamping days. I did not re-ink the stamp each time I pressed down. This enabled me to get gradations of the image. The styrofoam was thin so you can see that I inadvertently inked the block and that showed up on the page as well. I used metal designed stickers and die cuts to finish the page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment