Google

Friday, August 31, 2018

The Hospital That Wasn't There

On the next day of my trip, I drove south of the city to the Chimborazo Visitor Center. This was the site of a rather large Confederate Hospital and the building on the site now (which wasn't there during the Civil War) houses a very nice medical museum. That's all I needed to hear to plan the trip!

I love this piece of paper. I don't remember what line it is from, but the silhouettes of soldiers seemed perfect as the backdrop to the introduction page. Almost ghostly in fact. To keep it simple, I just matted the photos with some dark paper similar to the black in the unigrid.

The next layout showcases the inside of the museum. I was delighted with the array of instruments and the displays. My favorite (which I hope is not too gory for my audience) is the amputation with the anatomical drawings to illustrate the tourniquet and bone knife. I actually used a few of these photos in one of my surgical technology lectures because the overall technique for amputation hasn't changed in 200 years. We've only upgraded the tools to high-speed electrical or gas powered saws.
Because I had so many photos, I only needed to decorate the edges. I used the Graphic 45 Olde Curiosity Shoppe paper and cut out the middles of 2 pages. The apothecary jars around the edge seemed the perfect choice for the medical photos. There were just a few blank areas left which became a journaling box and then a place to layer stickers or cut-outs from the other pages in the pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment