Google

Friday, October 7, 2022

MorrisTOWN

I live in MorrisVILLE and sometimes I get it wrong and say I live in MorrisTOWN. I don't, but I did visit there. This was the winter encampment for Washington's troops in the winter of 1779-1780. It was one of the worst winters on record. While the park includes some reproduction huts from the encampment, this trip was specifically to Washington's Headquarters in the Ford Mansion. I started in the Visitor Center where there is a video and several rooms of artifacts. I traveled there as it was a special weekend and they had an author doing a reading and discussion of his book based on the life of a slave that was Washington's valet. It was geared to middle-school students so I bought an autographed copy for my nephew Thomas.



This layout is loosely based on a CM Virtual Crop sketch from February 2022. I did the long strips at the top and bottom but did NOT include the large square on the right side. I had more photos to include and did not feel a need to include any more paper. The decorative paper along the top is the rest of my Reminisce paper. It's bordered by some plain brown strips. I debated adding my Cricut cut of Washington. I thought he was too "cartoonish" but as I was completing this at a crop with my Mom and Sister, they assured me it worked fine. And well--there he is.

One area of the museum held paper artifacts such as manuscripts, booklets, and even money. Alexander Hamilton's writings are on display here. In another area, they extend the museum to include a bit of everything else from the revolutionary war. The large oval is a single link from a chain that was used to protect the Hudson River from British vessels. The size and weight were astonishing.



This page is also a layout from the CM virtual crop. This was Sketch #6. I thought for quite a while about what base paper to use. Eventually, I decided on a page from the wedding pack that had a journal appearance. I added a Cricut cut of the quill and ink and that gave it the heritage feel i was looking for. The border at the bottom is again the Reminisce line. I fussy cut the title box from another piece of paper but it layers well with the dark strip.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Connie, I really like all your pages that you do. When you do your pages is right after. your vacation or during vacation. I have a lot of pictures I want to a scrapbook for. Doing doing by year or every trip.

    Shayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shayne! Typically I'm about 5-years behind the event. (Example--today it's October 2022 and I'm working on the July 2017 convention trip). But remember that you don't have to do everything all at once! Do one page and then do the next. (You know how to eat an elephant? One bite at a time!) Hope to see you at a crop event soon!

      Delete