Google

Friday, October 21, 2022

A Brand New Park!

 In March 2017 I was privileged to attend the Grand Opening of a brand new National Park Unit. Harriet Tubman was born in Maryland and this area has now become a National Historical Park filled with details of her life. One of the club members held a meetup for the event. There were MANY people in attendance besides our group, but because we arrived so early we could park at the NPS site and not be shuttled in from a nearby town. It was so crowded I didn't get a chance to see the visitor center other than the lobby and the bookstore. However, there were 2 excellent presentations that we all attended. First, a Harriet Tubman reenactor gave a talk on her life and answered questions from the audience. She was marvelous.



I used sketch #5 from the November 2021 CM Virtual Crop for this layout. I substituted 2 rows of paper pieces for the punched railroad tracks. Everyone thought that was a great addition to the page. The rest of the paper is scrap from a very old CM paper pack (that I believe is called Discover). Having a few pieces left over, I cut them into ribbons and added them to the blank parts of the page. 

The second speaker is an author who wrote about the life of enslaved people. He had some helpers from the audience but also provided samples. He didn't expect so many people to be in attendance so I'm glad we saw his first presentation as I don't think there was much left for the second one. Though the things he provided to us were rather distasteful--some of the beverages and salted fish common to enslaved people's diet. 



This layout is based on a sketch I saved--though I don't know why I saved it. Typically I save the virtual crop sketches if I don't get them done on the crop weekend. It's possible I saved this as I didn't have a clue what to do with Sorbet (check out the paper in the links on the blog site). I didn't use Sorbet here, but remnants from a "Painted" paper pack that was a bonus pack. By cutting everything into 2-3/4” x 3-3/4” and 5-3/4” x 3-3/4” mats, a background was created that would hold all the photos I wanted. On some of the smaller rectangles, I added decorative cut-outs from a Heritage pack.

He also demonstrated the torture devices used on returned runaways. I applaud the lady from the audience who was the "model". That massive iron frame must have been heavy even for the few minutes she wore it on stage.



This is a bonus sketch provided by CM when they had a promotional paper pack. This is the 2nd sketch on the page. I used some very old Earthy papers and stickers to create the layout. I think those papers captured the somber tone of the images. 

No comments:

Post a Comment