Google

Friday, December 11, 2020

Happy Trails part 14--White Sands (the sun)

 After leaving Fort Selden, I drove to White Sands National Monument (it was then, it has since been updated to a National Park). We had planned an NPTC picnic there. I arrived with enough time to explore the park on my own a bit. It's important to note that while it is called "sand" it is not the same material you would find on a seaside beach. This is a huge amount of gypsum that has been liberated from the nearby mountains and washed into the plateau. However, it certainly still acts like sand--forming dunes and supporting grasses and wildlife. I didn't try it but people also use it as snow and will toboggan down the dunes (this is an approved use of the park).

This layout is based on a Pinterest layout I saved. I was torn with how to scrapbook these pages and decided that I would think about "sands" as a beach and went through my beach/tropical board for inspiration. The blue and white really seemed to fit nicely with the photos and I was quite happy with the results. I used paper from the "Cool Serenity" line which CM had a few years ago.


After the visitor center, I stopped at a nature trail along a boardwalk. It was hot and sunny but there were a lot of great sights along the walk.



This layout is based on a 1-2-3 sketch by Noreen Smith. I rarely do this but I actually copied her sample EXACTLY. What I added to the layout was the dots down the left side and across the top of the right page. These were made using the new CM Dot Pens. These create different size dots depending on how long you press. I probably should be more tolerant of "white space" on my pages but I just felt that there needed to be something along those edges.


1 comment: