Google

Friday, October 4, 2019

Antietam part 2--Featured monuments

Last week I highlighted the tour I took through Antietam Battlefield. There are a couple of interesting markers that caught my eye and I wanted to give each their own page. First, just outside the farmhouse that served as a hospital was this memorial to Clara Barton. As a nurse, she's a favorite of mine and so here is a tribute to her work.
The background of this page is a piece of heritage paper from an old CM Reminisce line. The mats for the photo on the upper left and bottom right came from the same pack, just a little lighter in color. The concept for putting the page together came from this Pinterest page. I took the tone of the paper and a little of the theme of the embellishments (but toned it down to my taste level). The flowers came from a variety of packages. The middles were in a prize pack I got at a crop a few years ago. The purple colors and the pearl middles are from various CM embellishment kits. The mat with Clara on it is cut from an EN 8 1/2 x 11 page that normally has a variety of people along the edge. I decided to trim it down to just Ms. Barton and I like that not only does it highlight her for this page but that I can use the remaining images on future pages.

Edit for 10-14-19--OK, I'm going to edit the page to add how I met the challenge for Lasting Memories who is asking us to use items to highlight the word "CRISP" (for the fall). Here is my list:
C: Clara Barton
R: Red Cross/red brick/red flower
I: Ink (around the chipboard word "Legacy")
S: Stickers (key and pitcher/basin)
P: Pearls in the flowers

Near the observation tower was this tribute to General Meagher. I heard of him when Jim and I traveled to Ireland in 2001. The other side of his memorial is to the Irish Brigade he led. As Jim's family has a strong Irish heritage, I decided to include the tributes in the album.

This layout is part of the scrapbook class I'm taking so I cannot post the sketch. However, the idea was to use up our stash of papers. CM had, in its early days, provided triangles and paper strips and the class instructor came up with a fresh take on how to layer them to make a page. I like that it almost makes a chevron/arrow pointing to the photos. The strip down the middle here is not cardstock, but a remnant of paper ribbon. I thought the green tones went a long way to highlighting the Irish heritage.

Below is the same page but I'm highlighting the history of the battle.

I've discussed the peekaboo pockets before. What a great way to add a touch of journaling and the story imprinted on the stone but not make it the focus of the page.

2 comments:

  1. Great way to document this! Thanks so much for joining us at Lasting Memories! ~Deanna :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great layout! What a great thing to document and great job with our word challenge! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Lasting Memories! -Lori DT

    ReplyDelete