Google

Friday, March 3, 2023

The Great Western Journey part 11--Come and get it!

 Time to start album #2 in the Great Western Journey. This post is sort of the "middle" section from Mount Rushmore. Our bus trip took us to Mount Rushmore in the afternoon, then we went to a Chuckwagon Dinner, and then we returned to Mount Rushmore for the lighting ceremony. 



If you remember, I used a printed calendar page for the kick-off page in the first album. I wanted something similar but not exact. I found this image in my Pinterest files and used it to make the page. I did some math to figure out what the dimensions were--most of which I got right. It does help to use up scrap paper! And then I added just a few travel stickers for emphasis. I wrote "Western Journey" and Volume Two was comprised of some old sticker letters (none of which I had to manipulate to get the words!).

The bus pulled up to the dining hall which surprised me. For some reason I assumed there was a hay ride and we'd be eating in the field. This actually was better--long trestle tables full of people! The hall holds way more than our group but it was not overcrowded.



This layout is based on a sketch from one of my classes. The focus of the sketch was the borders and circles. That gave me the inspiration to go with some bold paper as a background. The borders were cut from a bandana square and in hindsight, I probably should have made the borders smaller so no one sees that the sides go "nowhere". The 3 circles provide "quiet" space on the layout which is great for small sticker clusters (using up some old Western theme CM and other stickers) as well as a place for journaling. Tucking the circles under other elements means that if you accidentally cut too close to the edge, no one will know! Unless you tell them in your blog 😀.

There was a process for getting your meal. Everyone received a metal plate and you walked through the line. The servers placed food in the correct location (you don't get to choose) as you made it through the process. If everyone cooperates, the line moves pretty smoothly. I delayed getting my meal just so I could take photos of everyone in the line. All of the people in the photos are from the club.



This layout is based on the Club Scrap Trattoria deluxe layout #13-14. I had purchased the cut-apart strips but not the paper that goes with the kits. I used other supplies that I had on hand when I put them together. The left strip under "Cowboy" is a saying about pizza. Since that didn't apply, but I wanted to use this particular layout, I added the letters--it really gave "flavor" to the page! (Those letters and the other square decorations were cut from the center of a scrapbook daily calendar I received many years ago--still using the supplies!) I was one photograph short so I chose one of the decorative mats from the Wide Open Places collection to fill the gap.

In addition to dinner, we were entertained by the house band. There was some light-hearted banter included in their remarks and then a variety of Country and Western tunes. It was a great evening.



I wanted to use the left-hand page on this layout (not a lot of other opportunities for me to use a western guitar page). I matched the wood tone on the right but added a pop of purple (I chose that because of the color the stage lights gave to the pages). A purple mat on the left helps carry that color across the layout. I added some random stickers and other embellishments with music themes to finish the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment