Google

Friday, January 20, 2023

The Great Western Journey Part 5--The Devil is in the Details

After leaving Fort Laramie we headed to Devils Tower (cue the Close Encounters theme music). It is truly amazing how much that tower dominates the landscape. The photo on the left page is from miles away from the park. It was a scenic overlook we stopped at to get our first glimpse. We arrived in the afternoon and there was still a line of cars awaiting entrance. We didn't have time to stop and get the traditional sign photo so I just captured that one through the window.



This layout is another Club Scrap layout that I created from their National Park collection. I've been waiting to use this set as I thought that the yellow print WAS Devil's Tower. Turns out it is from Yosemite. Well, it could be either I guess.The card on the 2nd page next to the photo of me was made by my friend Sharon Aubuchon as a table decoration for one of our NPTC conventions. I was able to take several with me and could incorporate it as a decorative mat on the layout. I added the 2 stickers on the bottom right as I didn't have photos to fit that slot. That provides some consistency with the left border.


I talked to the Ranger and said I wanted to get good photographs and avoid a lot of people. The Ranger recommended this trail (I forget the name of it) and though it was a little buggy we were able to get the photos we wanted. The tower and flag photo is just outside the Ranger Station.



This is layouts 3 and 4 from the same Club Scrap link as above. I did switch out the journal box as I liked the quote on this one. When I created the page I opted out of using the burlap strip and instead added a piece of CM paper that had a similar texture to it. 

What I didn't know about before our visit was the extensive Prairie Dog town in the park. I had a great time observing them run around. Jim snuck that photo of me but I didn't really mind. 



This layout is based on a sketch I saved on Pinterest. The paper on the left is from Scrapbook Customs and though it's a really close-up view of the tower, it fits the dirt tone of the prairie dogs. The right-hand page is a striped piece from a South Dakota scrapbook pack I was given. It matched the tower fairly well. The border on the top right is a scrap piece from a 7x7 nature-themed paper from old CM. I had a couple of brown ovals in my scrap bin so I used them in place of the circles on the sketch. The sticker on the upper right one is from a Wind Cave sticker sheet (I didn't notice prairie dogs when we were there). It shows up much better in real life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment