Google

Friday, January 13, 2023

The Great Western Journey Part 4--Which Came First?

The title for this week's post is a little tongue-in-cheek (well, aren't they all) because the last few photos I had for the Fort were of the bar, the jail, and the Native American display in the visitor center. I'm assuming the use of the bar came before the use of the jail but it could have been otherwise. I'm surprised that the pool table is a period piece. The bar was certainly impressive. 



This layout is based on a Power Hour from Meggan and Tessa. I used the Wide Open Places pack and 2 pieces of paper that were scraps from other layouts. I didn't think far enough ahead and so the one strip has horses running up and down the page instead of across but I couldn't match up the pieces any other way. The True Grit sticker is left from the Dakota CTMH pack. These foiled stickers are very temperamental and fragile. If you don't handle them correctly they will rip--so placement is key as you get only one chance.

Information on the Native Americans was sparse--just one display inside the visitor center. I'm hoping they are augmenting these displays. There was quite a bit of trade with them over the years. And a lot of treaties were signed here.



This layout is based on the October Bonus challenge for the CM virtual crop in October 2022. Instead of a tower of cake (or as some people tried--a Christmas tree), I chose to make a teepee reminiscent of the one in the photos. The background is quite simple--a piece of dark green cardstock and a strip of the brown print from the Wide Open Places pack. I took a separate piece of cardstock and layered my strips of paper on it. Then I cut it with a slight angle from the top to the bottom on each side to get the tent shape. I think the varied stripes are what provide the Native American flair to the decoration. A couple of cactus stickers and a couple of die-cut elements provided the flow through the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment