Google

Friday, February 25, 2022

New Castle

The next morning I drove to New Castle. The weather had brightened and you couldn't tell it had snowed! My stop today is at the New Castle Court House. Like the one in Dover, the main room held trials. But over the years it has had many uses, including a teahouse at one point. The upstairs rooms were used by state workers such as the Register of Wills. During the renovation, the original titles were found on the doors!



This layout is from one of my classes. And I found the error in the directions, unfortunately. The argyle paper should have been cut 1/2" longer so that the photos on the right were slightly matted. I don't have much more of that paper (Archiver's I think) so I left it as-is. I fussy cut a few embellishments to go with the page but didn't embellish too much.

Also upstairs is an interesting history of a slave who was caught escaping and imprisoned. But he was "purchased" by abolitionists who were able to complete his escape. You can see that the Underground Railroad was a large part of my trip. There are now special stamps for this program and the middle of the 2 pages below is a local passport pamphlet that I began to use.



Because I knew I was putting the brochure between these 2 pages, I was able to do different papers and styles. It's NOT a 2-page layout, I just photographed it that way. On the left is another of my class sketches. The photo makes it difficult to see but the paper is pale blue and from an old Vintage Chic line. I had an extra photo spot, so I added a mat card as a title. I added a couple of flourishes by punching scalloped circles in coordinating papers.


The right side isn't following any specific sketch. I had a remnant of old brick paper which I cut diagonally and added to the corners. The swath of page between is a good place for journaling. I added a few random square stickers and a "History" title from one of my Paper Loft sheets. The postcard included details of the slave story I mentioned above. But just because you can read it here, don't let that stop you from visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment