Google

Friday, February 4, 2022

Delawarean or Pennsylvanian?

 I backtracked a bit to visit the Dickinson Plantation. I had known him as a Pennsylvanian and of course the impetus behind Dickinson College. He is best known as the Penman of the Revolution. But his home was in Delaware. And that's after the 3 lower counties broke from Pennsylvania to form the state. So my tour was an eye-opener in several ways. The tour started in the visitor center with a video and then we walked to the house. The home is reminiscent of the 1700s and I loved the manikins of the Dickinsons included in the rooms.



I based this layout on a pin I saved from The Paper Loft. I did use Paper Loft papers for the background but didn't have the exact pages so I had to create the scene. The background papers had a solid print all over, so I "gutted" the middle to make a frame and then just mounted them on the scrapbook pages. With the new CM trimmer, it's easy to do and I have a video of it on my Facebook page (around 10 minutes in). That saves paper for another use!

I used a Cricut to create the tree and house. I used green cardstock for the doors because the house does have a green door (used to indicate the wealth of the people living there). I flipped the tree and house from the original layout because of the way the photos fit. That provided me with an opportunity to add the horse and carriage die cut from Paper Pizazz (now out of print). The small image of a woman and child on the right page is from the same die-cut tablet.

The tour moved into the servants' areas such as the kitchen and included a stop in an outbuilding that featured some old weaving looms. As I worked a loom during my Art Club days in Junior High School, it brought back a lot of memories.



This layout was based on a sketch from the April 2021 CM Virtual Crop. I chose to use some VERY old stash from the Earthy line. I thought the dusky prints worked well with the heritage photos. The left page had the border of diamonds printed on it. I just had to add a circle cut from a scrap and a couple of stickers from the pack. On the right, I used the top circle to do some extra journaling. The bottom circle on the sketch was completed with a sticker. CM used to make pages of decorative shaped stickers (circles, tags, rectangles) and I didn't know what to do with them. I do now!

No comments:

Post a Comment