Google

Friday, July 22, 2022

Obscure Monuments Tour part 1--Mall Time Again

 In November 2016 I made a trip down to DC again. I traveled after my Saturday morning Zumba class (which is why I look frazzled in the photo). Since there is a meetup planned for Sunday morning I thought I would stay overnight, and if I was going to do that well then maybe I should visit some DC sites on Saturday. I found a Ranger Talk for Saturday afternoon focused on "Obscure Monuments". I thought that would be an excellent way to see something new and I signed up for it. After getting off the metro I took a moment to post a quick selfie on Facebook with the Washington Monument in the background.



This layout is based on one of my October class sketches. I used the Hello Autumn papers mostly because I was there in the fall. I added 2 embellishments from the Eastern National scrapbook packs. The Greetings tag is from the DC pack and the Monument sticker is from their regular pack. Perfect accompaniments to the page. Also detailed enough that I didn't need to layer additional stickers or embellishments with them.

I made my usual stop at the World War II memorial. There were a couple of re-enactors but I didn't get a chance to talk to them at all. I did see the plaque to Bob Dole for the first time so I snapped a photo of it.



The left page of the layout is a simple wallpaper technique. The paper is from Scrapbook Customs and I just had to throw a couple of photos on it to introduce the memorial. The right page is another sketch from my October class. The red and yellow border on the right was leftover from a page I had made about Russian Migs. The re-enactors spurred my design--I wanted the red/browns to match their uniforms. The red photo mat is a scrap from a very old patriotic 8 1/2 x 11 pad. I tied the 2 together with the blue star paper from the Americana pack (I think I've used that on EVERY layout featuring WWII due to the fountain). My sticker clusters were from a Revolutionary War pack (the eagle and "Proud") and from a military pack.

While at the monument I focused on the fountain. Luckily it was November and no one was swimming in it (which people do even though there is a sign asking people to refrain). I had some fun getting photos of the water including the reflecting pool with the Lincoln Monument.



This layout was made for one of the pajama party events from Creative Life Scrapbooking. The triangles across the top should be straighter and had I drawn a line across the page in pencil it might not slope up. Still, the angle is fairly slight. The papers were all from blue-toned paper packs to reflect the water scenes. The embellishments were from "Picture This" which not only matches the blue theme, it captures the spirit that I was playing with photography. 

No comments:

Post a Comment