Google

Friday, August 14, 2020

On a Mission part 1--Espada and San Juan

While in San Antonio, I wanted to visit all of the missions. Jim had no interest so I set off in the morning and drove to the most southern of the missions--Mission Espada. I was earlier than the park opened so I had a chance to look around the outside. I waited for the posted hours for the visitor center to open, but no one arrived so I chose to drive over to the aqueduct that was nearby. Based on the same principles the Romans used, this aqueduct carried water to the settlement--water was important for the survival of the area. 

The layout is based on a sketch from my year-long scrapbook class (so I can't share it). It was actually a single page sketch, and I doubled it. I liked the way the triangles met and formed a shape reminiscent of the front of the missions. The paper is a mixture of an orange print and a piece from the Memoirs and Memories pack that was a little industrial. But the colors matched the color of the mission walls so you can't really see the gears and rivets until you look closely. I added a few stickers from a very old Yellow Design Lines packet. The squares sort of resemble a cross.

Below, you can see the aqueduct up close as well as the next visit I made--Mission San Juan. This site is unmanned so I gave myself a tour by reading all the signs and then moved on. More missions next week!

The left page is another sketch from our April class (so again, I can't show you). I used one block to have a journaling square rather than another photo. I had to manufacture some letters, but I thought the "Agua" title turned out well. 

On the right, I didn't use any inspiration. I had pulled paper packs with oranges and yellows when I started on the mission pages knowing those work well with Southwestern theme pages. I had one ombre yellow page which I turned sideways and then added the sun borders (CM Border Maker Cartridge). The middle sticker is the Alamo, but without the title, it rather looks like a church so I thought it decorated the page nicely. To pull a little more yellow into the middle, I added the Yellow Rose of Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment